At the time of approaching Automation & Control, the customer was installing scaffolds around the locomotives to allow access to the workers. This was both expensive and time consuming, costing up to $12,000 for each train to be maintained, with the set-up of each workstation taking about two weeks.
Our electrical engineers designed an adjustable platform with a reach between 3.5 to 5 meters high. Our teams were able to provide the control solution using robotic servo motors and a safety system, giving the maintenance crew safe access the Tamper Locomotives rooftop.
- Stainless Steel enclosure with heat panel
- 2x Delta Servo motors and drives
- 4x NOZAG Screw jack and gear boxes
- Cat II Safety system
- 2x Fortress Key Magnetic Locker
- Omron HMI and PLC
- Schneider switchgear
- IFM sensors
- Platform set-up time reduced from 4 hours to 45 minutes
- Reduction in labour costs
- ROI made in under 12 months
- Flexibility of being able to set the platform at any location in the customer’s workshop
- Expected savings of up to $864k per annum